Last night in our Monthly Marketing Bundle strategy call we talked about successes people are having and then went over the article, tip sheet, and speech outline I’d prepared for them, brainstorming ways to use them in their marketing. All of that was part of our normal monthly format.
What was different this month is that I saved time at the end for everyone to share a highlight of the year. It could be something that happened with a client, someone they met—anything big or small.
It was awesome to hear voices chiming in saying that the Monthly Marketing Bundle (MMB) Summer Retreat was the biggest highlight for many. I have to agree; it was pretty remarkable. It’s on my list too!
With members pitching in to help we created our own three-day conference here in Sonoma for image professionals. Evelyn from Sydney, Australia asked on the call, “Brenda, are you going to do another one this year? I’m coming if you’re going to do it!”
We’ll turn the corner on 2017 before I start thinking about that.
Create your highlight reel
I’d like to ask you a question: What are your highlights of the year?
A simple way to bring those highlights into focus is to sit down and write out a list of 20 things that really mattered to you this year; things you tried (whether they were successful or not); ways you made a difference; people you touched; new types of clients you served, etc. What worked?
Some MMB members created alliances with new people and had great success sharing the stage with professionals from other industries. A few members are using Zoom technology to create webinars. It’s exciting to hear how many have embraced Instagram while others are embracing online presentations to their client base.
Don’t worry about getting to twenty; just begin
When I first sit down to make this list I wonder if I’ll remember even five things. The year seemed to whiz by! But once I start I begin to remember more and more about the year.
Here are the first five highlights I’ve written down and they aren’t in any particular order.
1. I championed a client who is my age to find her way to loving her body as it is. She had a deep history of trauma and really couldn’t see herself with any clarity. I’ll never forget the look in her eyes in the dressing room when she saw her reflection and said, “I look beautiful!”
2. I was inspired by two art exhibits I saw this year that related to fashion: Making Mainbocher, The first American Couturier in the Chicago History Museum, and the Madeleine Albright Read My Pins exhibit at the Legion of Honor in San Francisco.
3. I loved having fun with colleagues both at the June MMB Summer Retreat in Sonoma and the Chicago AICI sponsored fashion weekend in October. My heart is full!
4. 2016 was my Year of Personal Expression and I did a lot of personal expressing through outfit making, posting pics to Instagram, and writing my blogs. I feel like I started crawling out of the grief after the loss of two family members, which was so consuming in 2015.
5. Last year I was bringing dinner to my client’s home as her husband and her adult children’s father was passing away. (I work with all of the family members except for the one that lives out of state.) This year I got to watch her style take bloom and go in a new direction. Maybe because she wasn’t devoting all her time to doctor’s appointments and months of caregiving, she now had time to adjust to life in her new way. She’s wearing brighter colors and more casual chic outfits and utilizing the Beauty Bundles I made for her at the beginning of the year. She looks great and I think it’s helping her cope with her new reality.
Ready to get started? I know you made a big difference for a lot of people! Start writing. I know you’ll get to twenty items with ease!
If you can find someone to share your list with – out loud – that would be great.
Would you like to look at your business in a more in-depth way?
I can help you with that. If you want to give your career a boost, use your list as you strategize what will make a great 2017 for your business. I give you step by step exercises to help you. Use my eBook planner, 10 Strategic Steps to Advance Your Career in 2017, and take a closer look at your unique business and then learn how to help it grow. Click here for more info.
Happy Holidays to you all!