It’s Sunday as I write this. I’m taking a few minutes to reflect on the week using one of my old tried and true business building tools called: “This week I … “
In some ways, it’s sort of like a journal. On the same day every week, I sit down and look at the week that just flew by and pull out the highlights. I like to do it on Fridays, Saturday mornings or Sunday evenings.
It gives me a chance to record and appreciate what developed over the week. It’s great for tracking goals or intentions. I can look at the big picture and include things like friendship, business, relationships, health, projects, etc. The skies the limit!
When I write it down
I started this exercise back in 2007. I don’t do it all the time (sort of wish I did, though). It benefits me in these ways:
One: I tend to have total recall on the things that need doing, but completely forget about the things I have actually done. When I write it down, I can see the whole picture and give myself a much-deserved “Atta Girl!” instead of a scolding: “You’re not done with that yet?”
Two: It’s easier for me to dismiss all efforts if they haven’t resulted in the big completion of a project. When I use this tool, I slow down and appreciate the steps it takes to truly get things done. I learn to appreciate the process not just the end product.
Three: I’m kinder to myself when I do this exercise. I find patience with myself when I stop and list what did happen, rather than focusing on what I wish had happened. It puts me in the moment.
Four: I have more faith in tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after that when I write it down because I can see that everything takes time. Week by week, things change and grow for the better. This tool helps me calm down!
As an example, here are my highlights for the week of February 22nd.
This week I …
- Edited my Style Squared Training on Demand transcripts for E.T.C.
- Created content and met the deadline for the Scottish journalist re: organizing one’s closet
- Got a terrific marketing quote from a client
- Started working with Amanda from Mindful Profits; learned how valuable having data is!
- Did great shopping with ML for shoes, casual clothes and spring dresses
- Introduced a jewelry designer to Miss M
- Made eyewear appointment for VS and negotiated a discount for her
- Created great transition outfits for RG
- Threw a fun Oscar party!
- Met with two different Sonoma friends after work, Vicki and Vicky, so lovely
- Meditated every day but one
- Discovered a new blog I like
When I look at my list I can really see that I am accomplishing things that matter to me. I am on track!
- I’m connecting with friends.
- I picked up two projects I was excited about that got stalled big time when I rushed to my mother’s side in Fargo back in January. Things have stabilized with her and I feel renewed and ready to focus again.
- I’m learning more about blogs, which is one of my goals this year.
- I’m following through on my practice to meditate and quiet my mind.
- I’m doing good work with my clients (I LOVE them!!)
- I made a journalist happy by providing her great content and following up with every request so she could make her deadline.
These are all things I feel good about! As I look to this coming week, I’ll carry these successes forward and build on them.
Do you think tracking your week’s highlights would be a good idea for you?